Spleef Changes

Discussion in 'Spleef' started by Pancircus, Nov 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancircus

Pancircus

Spleef is one of the largest gamemodes on Jerry & Harry, yet it hasn’t been mechanically updated in years. While the player base continues to vary, the game has been a constant for too long. Changes such as air spleef and fewer snowballs could permanently change the community for the better.

To contribute to the new update, many people in the community and on the lifetime leaderboard believe a reset is needed. Most of the people on the lifetime leaderboard don’t play anymore, it’s inaccurate. Not to mention, it’s fairly easy to reset it.

Defenders have been the meta over the years on Jerry & Harry and I personally think air-spleef could change that for the better. Air-spleef is Efficiency V shovels, which means you can break snow blocks while jumping. This simple change makes rushing a lot easier which could help add more enticing and interesting game play.

Ever since more snowballs have been added into the gamemode, players have been abusing them in 1v1’s to a certain extent when they were only added to eliminate islanded players. Having such a huge amount of snowballs lets players spam the opponent to achieve an unfair win. In the end this really is spleef, so why add a stack and a half of snowballs? It’s incredibly unnecessary.

There have been continuous complaints about lagback throughout the spleef community. We do know that the main cause of this is the anticheat, but if possible, we recommend changing that to improve gameplay as much as possible.

To end this off, the spleef community has been asking for change for a while now and if you heed our recommendations this could potentially grow the community and Jerry & Harry in general.

TLDR:

Air-spleef, Snowballs, and Lagback fixes would possibly change the whole community and J&H together.

egobaby, simpl1city, Lucyy and 11 others like this.
  2. Yamishinoa

Yamishinoa

yes i have the agree

McDiamondz75 and Pancircus like this.
  3. McDiamondz75

McDiamondz75 Donator

Personally, I agree with this. With notice of the recent update, there have been some positive changes (i.e. enlarging the 1v1 arenas by a minute amount, which is better than the previous 8 or so years of small 1v1 arenas that noticeably next to nobody played.) However, there is a sense of frustration that is mutual amongst the spleef community, and I'll explain why.

Firstly, I'll address pan's point about the concept of air spleef. Looking at other spleef servers that is known amongst JH spleefers, the same style of spleef is used and preferred by the majority of spleefers (despite there being a fair few JH spleefers that will disagree) because of many reasons. Firstly, the style in which the game is played is more enticing and intense as players break blocks during airtime, in contrast to waiting to land in order to break blocks, which is a less enjoyable experience as many would agree.

Secondly, experienced players are aware that there are multiple approaches to playing the game and air spleef makes it easier for players of varying playstyles to perform better against defenders, campers, etc. At surface level, the perspective of spleef being simply a block-breaking game and it being unnecessary to change the mechanics in which spleef is currently played is understandable, although, as someone who’s played for over 8 years, I can confidently say that it’s way more deep-rooted than that and it only requires a basic change.

Initially, I understood the theory of implementing a stack and a half of snowballs to prevent people from camping, but in execution, it is a tool for players to abuse and as pan stated, it’s unnecessary to have an astronomical amount of snowballs. A reduction in snowballs and the implementation of air spleef would combat that problem as active and retaining players would be given the opportunity to be more aggressive whilst having a reasonable amount of snowballs.

Furthermore, whilst minor, I can barely recall the last time that the all-time leaderboard has been reset, but if I were to assume, it has been around 2 years. The top player has around 14.5k wins, which is substantially more than what the top players had in previous years. The monthly leaderboard obviously gets reset every month, but I and others included on the all-time leaderboard feel as if the all-time leaderboard should be reset, and it’s fairly easy to do so.

In conclusion, I will mention the negligence that the community has received when attempting to provide insight to improving the game. For example, there was a discord created by staff specifically for the spleef community to voice their opinions on how to improve the game, to which there were a series of suggestions that received attention and were approved by fellow members of the community. Although I heard that these suggestions were going to be put through to higher authority, nothing had changed. Given that this recent update did increase the size of the 1v1 arenas, the community feels as if more could’ve been done, and with that, the frustration in those that still care about spleef is reasonable. So what better way than to address this on the forums, if a discord can’t do it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  4. samm

samm saint Donator

Minecraft:
    CantBreathe
    I despise air spleef but I know most enjoy it so honestly all these changes sound good

#paincrease

Pancircus and McDiamondz75 like this.
  5. kamidere

kamidere

^^ add this stuff pls

6. hindere

hindere

These changes could revive spleef and probably attract more players, please add this stuff!!!

7. Pancircus

Pancircus

Very well put, you said it better than i could

McDiamondz75 likes this.
  8. joshp05

joshp05 _Jsoh

As much as I personally don't like air spleef, it 100% helps with the current problems involving defenders. Playing against people like this is extremely mundane and repetitive and completely eliminates the fast paced aspect of spleef. I also agree that the amount of snowballs is ludicrous and unnecessary as of right now, hopefully you will take these suggestions seriously and take action, as everyone that I can think of that is a regular at spleef thinks the same changes are necessary.

The current problems with lagback are also incredibly frustrating, as it adds to the difficulty of playing against defenders as it makes rushing incredibly risky. I'm hoping this can be looked at and resolved fully promptly.

9. samm

samm saint Donator

Minecraft:
    CantBreathe
    better written than most English essays wtf

joshp05 likes this.
  10. AmandaA11

AmandaA11

Yes I agree with this

11. zi_se

zi_se

cool

12. f8alcoop

f8alcoop Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft:
    f8alcoop
    I agree because everyone else is agreeing

simpl1city and Pancircus like this.
  13. ItsHarry

ItsHarry Owner Staff Member Owner

Minecraft:
    ItsHarry
    suspiciously many replies from accounts with single digit post counts [​IMG]

ItsJerry and t3mptr3s like this.
  14. Lucyy

Lucyy Builder Donator

Minecraft:
    xLucyy
    These are good suggestions tho

Pancircus likes this.
  15. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    I'll just adress this -
    On discord, the spleef feedback team agreed to larger 1v1 arenas and gave a recommended size. That's what exists in the new hub and what you got. No other changes have been promised or even remotely agreed on. Air spleef, for example, was discussed both on the forums and on discord and in both cases resulted in a 50/50 split vote. We did not want to change the entire game mechanic because some players wanted it when it wasn't a majority.

A decrease in snowball count has been mentioned a couple times. There hasn't been conclusive means to get snowballs or how many a decrease should maintain. When we launched spleef and brought it back into the server, it was very minimal snowballs and was actually increased to the current amount by majority request on the forums. tldr; the players said they wanted this much and we gave it to them.

-------------

As mentioned on the server a number of times, if you want changes to happen, talk to the spleef players and get them to post their feedback here. Making multiple forum accounts to "support" your own suggestion isn't helpful (not naming names, I'm sure they know who they are). Make sure the active playerbase wants the same thing you want and get THEM to support it.

Also, be specific about what you want. 10 snowballs? 20? 64 in the main arena and 10 in 1v1? none in 1v1? airspleef in 1v1 only and leave main arena as a different style? maybe the opposite of that? Many ways this could go, so, think on it, and make your ideal suggestion.

ItsJerry, Pancircus and McDiamondz75 like this.
  16. joshp05

joshp05 _Jsoh

no-one here has made multiple forum accounts to support the suggestion, these are all spleef players that are active pretty much every day.

Pancircus likes this.
  17. Lucyy

Lucyy Builder Donator

Minecraft:
    xLucyy
    How bout yall join the feedback team and discuss your ideas and changes about spleef there

18. joshp05

joshp05 _Jsoh

Regarding this, the majority of active spleef players/people who enjoy playing don't care about the other game modes or server discussion, additionally there are many relatively new spleef players who are active pretty much every day, all you need to do to validate these accounts is look at the spleef monthly and/or total leaderboard, its really not hard.

simpl1city and Pancircus like this.
  19. McDiamondz75

McDiamondz75 Donator

First of all, thank you for your response.

Currently I and many others in the spleef community are in the process of meeting your request, which is to be more specific about the changes we want. I'm not fond of your accusation that random multiple accounts have been made to support my suggestion, each and every single account is their own body and we have collectively reached out to people who desperately want these changes. I have made a discord server with members of the spleef community in it where we gather to talk over the different factors of spleef, and if you would like to see that these are actual people, you are more than welcome to join. It's clear that these changes are wanted, but coming to a consensus on each specific detail will require some time, so until then, we can't exactly state the specific changes once people are satisfied with the final changes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  20. samm

samm saint Donator

Minecraft:
    CantBreathe
    pancircus, mcdiamondz, kamidere, hinodere, joshp

the ppl who replied to this, who are also on everry single day playing spleef

this literally is the spleef community

simpl1city, Pancircus and joshp05 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.