Questions About Pumpkin Farms

Discussion in 'SkyBlock' started by Soclalist, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Soclalist

Soclalist

Minecraft:
    Soclalist
    I'm trying to understand pumpkin farms currently, but I'm not too sure how they work.
    I'm seeing islands that have massive pumpkin farms with no redstone and only collector beacons, and I even saw someone mention in all chat that they made it so collector beacons can pick up pumpkins?

However, pumpkins tend to grow with this layout and am wondering the proper way to set it up. Any help would be appreciated!

Ahmeet likes this.
  2. Ahmeet

Ahmeet Donator

Minecraft:
    Ahmeet
    This is basically how you make a pumpkin/melon farm without using any redstones and causing the antilag plugin to break your systems.

About how to combine collectors with this system
    Collectors are able to pick up the items that are only inside of the chunk where you place the collector. So first you should know what a "chunk" is. I'll quote a paragraph from "minecraft.gamepedia.com"
    "A chunk is a 256-block tall 16×16 segment of a Minecraft world. Chunks are the method used by the world generator to divide maps into manageable pieces."

Considering collectors will only pick up the items that are in the chunk where you place the collector, your collector will only be able to pick up the items that are within the boundaries of "16 blocks wide, 16 blocks long and 256 blocks tall" . Which means your farm shouldn't exceed 16x16 longth-width and 256 blocks tall if you want the collector to pick up all the pumpkins. The reason why I keep repeating the same things is because its important. A lot of people don't know how to use chunks and then they complain about their collector not working properly...

Okay so how do I find / spot a chunk?

To spot a chunk, follow these steps
    First get into 1.16 and click on F3 + G. You will be seeing all the chunks.
    Now spot a chunk for yourself, and place your collector on any of a block that is inside of that chunk. You dont have to place it right into the middle of the chunk. Placing it on any of a block in that chunk will work.
    Then build the farm within the chunk boundaries.
    The collector will be able to pick up all the items that are inside of that chunk. (As long as the collector is not full / stacked)

Thats how people build pumpkin farms in this season. It's probably the most effective system among the systems that don't include redstones.

I hope you understood and I hope I made sense lol (i usually dont 0-0). You can always PM me if you need help about this or anything else.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Yupac, Soclalist, keremalguul and 4 others like this.
  3. Pugnata

Pugnata Pug the Pug Donator

Minecraft:
    Pugnata
    To add to the previous comment, this page on the wiki really helped me design my pumpkin farm: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Pumpkin_and_melon_farming .

There are many different ways to design the layers, and you can make different choices for a layer. You can decide if you want water in there for hydrated farmland, or not so you have more space. You can make the space between layers 2 blocks, so you can add light sources without sacrificing space, or make it compact with 1 block of space.

I do want to give you a quick tip if you do use water: hydrated farmland around the stem increases your efficienty. Normally, the farmland would turn into dirt when a pumpkin grows, but now the collector picks it up so it will stay farmland. I changed my design to have farmland everywhere, and inmediately saw my rates go up.

Also, place your collector before you start planting seeds. Already grown pumpkins won't be picked up, so you would need to remove the pumpkins manually (which is a pain if you only have 1 block of space) before the collector can do its work.

If you're still lost, you can always ask on the server if someone can show their design. Most of us don't bite, and would love to help you out. (You can also shoot me a message if I'm online and not afk)

4. Ezzerland

Ezzerland Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    Ezzerland
    The most efficient farm setup uses a collector and only needs 1 layer of dirt and 1 layer of pumpkin/melon seeds (a mix of both is most ideal).
    • First, use f3+g (press at same time) to show chunk boarders and use 1 chunk.
    • Place your chunk collector at the most convenient edge of the chunk to access for convenience.
    • In a 16 by 16 grid you want 4 blocks that are not dirt in the first layer to be water.
    • Those same 4 blocks is where you put your glowstone in the 2nd layer above the water.
    • All remaining dirt in the first layer should be farmland.
    • 2nd layer should use a checker pattern design where every other farmland as a planted seed.
    • Reminder: 2nd layer also has the 4 glowstone above the 4 water spots.

With this design, you now have a 2 block tall 16x16 area that produces as many pumpkins/melons as possible. You can repeat these 2 layers as tall as you can stack them within the chunk and the collector beacon will do all the Redstone work for you of harvesting your pumpkins.

Soclalist, Ahmeet, Pugnata and 2 others like this.
  5. Soclalist

Soclalist

Minecraft:
    Soclalist
    Thank you, everyone! This has been a great help, and I've gotten it all setup!
    It's really efficient. Thank you for the advice.
    --- Post merged ---
    Is there a way to make the beacon hold more than 50,000 pumpkins? Or do I need to place more collectors down?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Ezzerland and Ahmeet like this.