What is your favorite book(s)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / Real life stuff' started by Smg, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Smg

Smg Retired | Also known as 'Phaithful' Donator

Minecraft:
    Phaithful_
    Howdy folks!
    If you do not know, my name is Smg.

Today; I have a question for the community.
    What is your favorite book(s)?

You are most likely wondering this quote right now:
    "Smg, why are you asking us about our favorite books on a Minecraft forum?"
    The question should be: Why not?
    Hello.
    Yes; I do know there have been multiple threads of this type of genre before.
    The last one I have seen was months ago, most likely over five to be exact.
    If you have any problems with this thread about 'copying' ideas, feel free to talk to me about it in a conversation.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

Before I state my favorites, I will clarify something. Although it does not say this in the title of this thread, you can still state book series/authors/etc.

Here is my list:
    Anything by Tim Green.
    Tim Green is honestly one of my favorite authors. He has written so many books about sports, that I have usually loved. I am not a big fan of reading, but when it comes to Tim Green, I am all in.

The Maze-runner series.
    This series is amazing in my opinion. The detail, along with the story is really well written. I am absolutely hyped for when the new Maze-runner movie comes out.

Mike Lupica.
    This is basically close/same to my Tim Green response. Mike Lupica is one of my all time favorite authors. His books really do make me want to read. A fun fact is that I am currently reading one of his books.

That was my list.
    Feel free to comment yours if you are comfortable.
    Have an amazing day.

2. _ItsMayDay

_ItsMayDay Smol Blueberry Pun Skele 4 Life Donator

Minecraft:
    LolNope. If I had one, it'd most likely be "SmolSkel"
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    Every Soul a Star

Smg likes this.
  3. Kizkuto

Kizkuto uhhh Donator

Minecraft:
    Kizkuto
    I don't like books.

4. Misjudgmentz

Misjudgmentz inactive

Minecraft:
    Vixellaa
    Right now my favorite book is The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West

Smg likes this.
  5. Kono

Kono Former Staff Donator

There are two books I hold dear:
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes: It's written in the form of a journal. It's a really interesting book about a mentally retarded adult who goes under a surgical procedure to artificially make him smarter.
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini: This book was given as an assignment to read for my AP English class. It's a haunting tale of redemption and the author uses many literary devices to make the story relatable. And I'm sounding like my English teacher now. For a book set in Afghanistan, it paints a portrait of the treasures that lay before these rebellions and the Talib.

Smg likes this.
  6. stanateez

stanateez hongjoong enthusiast Donator

I have a few
    If manga counts then
    Tokyo Ghoul Books 1 & 2 by Sui Ishida
    Pandora Hearts by Jun Mochizuki
    Noragami Book 1 by Adachitoka
    Sailor Moon Books 1, 2 & 3 by Moko Takeuchi ~ @BashfulBaker ~

Non Mangas Include
    The Chocolate Box Girls Series by Willow Cassidy
    Requiem by Lauren Oliver *even tho im reading it now its AMAZING*
    Shadow by Michael Morpurgo
    The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire by Dan And Phil ~ @jules ~
    Awful Auntie by David Walliams
    Gangsta Granny by David Walliams
    and yeah xD
    I love reading :P

7. Kizkuto

Kizkuto uhhh Donator

Minecraft:
    Kizkuto
    Ok, now I know I said "I don't like books", but I do like some books.
    • The Giver
    • Hunger Games
    • Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
    • The House Of The Scorion

8. nzoslash

nzoslash Donator

Minecraft:
    NzoSlash
    -Lord of the Flies
    - Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
    - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

sss, TreeKillerMan and Smg like this.
  9. katlynn

katlynn "Dear heart, why him?" Donator

Just as @_ItzAlice_ said, if Mangas count then I'ma include them.

Mangas

Tokyo Ghoul Series by Sui Ishida
    Noragami Series by Adachitoka

Regular Books
    TheGraveYardBook by Neil Gaiman
    StolenChildren by Peg Kehret
    Out of my mind by Sharon M. Draper

TreeKillerMan, stanateez and Smg like this.
  10. TreeKillerMan

TreeKillerMan shamone Donator

Minecraft:
    TreeKillerMan
    1. Catcher in the Rye
    The catcher in the rye is set some time around 1950s and the whole book is narrated by a teenager called Holden Caulfield, Holden doesn't actually say anything about where he is but only informs the reader he's in a mental hospital or sanatorium.
    Basically this book used to be classed as really controversial and got (still is for some) banned in lots of countries, apparently a few people who murdered famous people had a copy of this book such as John Lennon's murderer and JFK's. I'll leave you to read up on that if you're interested. This book really is great.

2. Jurassic Park
    It's the original book that the Steven Spielberg hit was based on, and it's great. If you liked then movie then you should definitely give this a read. It's pretty much the same story too.

3. An idiot abroad: The travel diaries of Karl Pilkington
    This book is based on the TV show "An Idiot Abroad" that I love which is extremely funny and really good. The book is basically what Karl (the guy who travels, aka the idiot) thinks about the places he sees and stuff, and goes on to more detail than the show. Recommend this to people who like their comedy stuff.

They're my favourite books.. I hope I'm not the only person who likes them xD

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Whizzer, stanateez, Kono and 3 others like this.
  11. Superfrog

Superfrog Donator

Catcher in the Rye- TreeKillerMAn2 hit on all the good points, but yea, Holden pretty much goes through major crap during it.
    Othello- One of Shakespeare's plays, Pretty interesting with how the main character is and the time it is in, Iago is a villain you would hate.
    The First Horseman- Creepy Cult tries to kill off all humans using a virus. Pretty scary. The chars are cool, and the cult leader is like many other cult leaders, and the tactics they use.
    Harry Potter- When voldie, grindle, or snape is being talked about or in the "scene" it's pretty good. Dursley's didn't get what was coming to them sadly, -_-
    What I am reading right now:
    47 Ronin
    My least favorite books( have to include this, very unpopular opinions here ):
    Hunger Games
    Divergent Series
    Ron weasel.
    Ginny weasel.

stanateez, TreeKillerMan and Smg like this.
  12. vipa

vipa the hornace of death Donator

The Fall of Reach - One of Eric Nylund's best books. The story is set in the future, centering around soldiers, called Spartans, abducted at a very young age and indoctrinated into the United Nations Space Command. Humanity is at war with a mysterious alien hierarchy of multiple species, called the Covenant, and humanity is losing. The Covenant have glassed human worlds one by one, and now, the Covenant has discovered the UNSC stronghold of Reach. It is a pretty great book, and is a must read.

The Forerunner Trilogy - Consists of three books, Halo: Cryptum, Halo: Primordium and Halo: Silentium. The trilogy centers around the ancient Forerunner species, before modern humanity arose. The story also focuses on the Forerunner war with the Flood, and the defeat of ancient humanity, as well as the creation of the Halo Array, which wiped out all sentient life in the Galaxy 100,000 years ago.

The Guns of Navarone - This is Alistair MacLean's best work. The book is set in World War Two, on an Adriatic island, called Navarone. The protagonist, Mallory, and his team are assigned to sabotage the giant German coastal guns on the island, so the British Fleet can evacuate stranded soldiers on a nearby island. Also, the sequel, Force 10 from Navarone is a must-read.

HMS Ulysses - Another well-written book by MacLean. The book centers around a British cruiser, the HMS Ulysses, which is assigned to protect a convoy of merchant and supply ships headed to supply Russia for the Eastern Front in the Second World War. But the mission doesn't come without difficulties, with German U-Boats on the hunt, as well as a small German fleet, and rumors that the legendary German battleship, the Tirpitz, has set out to hunt for the British convoy, but also, the cold of the Arctic, proves to be just as deadly. The crew of the Ulysses must overcome these obstacles and successfully protect the convoy, and if the Ulysses fails, the Russians may lose the war.

Smg and sraha like this.
  13. FlowLikeWater_

FlowLikeWater_ Donator

Minecraft:
    Suir4888
    [​IMG]
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Smg likes this.
  14. Nessa

Nessa Donator

Minecraft:
    Rewatch
    I don't normally read books but out of the few books I've read my byfar favorites are; the Maze Runner series, the Divergent series and Paper Towns.

Makoa, Smg and sraha like this.
  15. Tsolay

Tsolay Artist Donator

Minecraft:
    Nanometer

Animal Farm

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Catcher in the Rye

The Great Gatsby <--- really good

Those are a couple of my favorites.

Superfrog, Smg, sraha and 2 others like this.
  16. Keboozle

Keboozle

I only have one favourite book I am currently reading, it is in fact Journey to the West published in 1592 with 1,410 pages and 100 chapters. Not to "show off" but I love this book!

Smg and TreeKillerMan like this.
  17. KokichiOma

KokichiOma Ultimate Supreme Leader Donator

Minecraft:
    Unprepossessing (MappyTurtle)
    The 1oo year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)
    >It leads through the story of Allan Karlsson as he escapes his retirement home on his 100th, on the run from police with a few friends he makes along the way.
    It also shows his life, meeting large people like Stalin, Truman, Einstein's idiot brother, etc.
    (Warning: It does contain mention of death, stealing, etc)

The boy in the striped pyjamas (John Boyne)

>It is about a 10 year old boy who is the son of a Nazi general (high up I believe) who makes his family move next to a concentration camp.
    Bruno, the 10 year old boy, is unaware of what is going on, and wants to find out. He makes friends with a Jewish boy (also 10 years old) in the camp. They are separated by a fence yet become good friends.
    (Very similar warning to above)

Stay where you are then leave (John Boyne)
    >Same author as the above book, however this novel is about a father leaving his family in WW1 and returning with an illness (as it states) and being admitted to hospital.
    Alfie, the son of the ill father, makes it his quest to find his father and return him back home.

Misery (Stephen King)
    >In this novel, we follow the ordeal of when Paul Sheldon, a famous writer, crashes whilst driving under the influence of alcohol and is nursed back to health in a retired nurse's lone cabin. The nurse, Annie Wilkes, is a big fan of Paul's main series about a woman named "Misery Chastain" however she has severe mental issues.
    (Warning: There is violence in this novel. Don't read unless you can handle it)

Hearts in Atlantis (Stephen King)
    >This is a novel with split shorter stories.
    (I haven't read this since year 9, so don't kill me if I am wrong but I do believe it cuts the biggest story up and inserts smaller ones and then continues the big one [Low men in yellow coats])
    It is a very good read about the Vietnam war and the protesting and what went on during this time.

(Warning: It is a mature read, containing mature subjects such as violence. I would be weary if you cannot handle mature content)

I've probably missed a few good ones, but what can you do? lmao

Xandalf and Smg like this.
  18. inferno18

inferno18

Favorite book? Easy.

[​IMG]

Smg likes this.
  19. Blocky_Cake11

Blocky_Cake11 CAKE | Bigbang is VIP | 2NE1 FOUREVER Donator

Minecraft:
    Blocky_Cake11
    Hunger Games and Harry Potter are the only books that I enjoyed since I don't read that many books....

and does Mangas count?
    if so...
    Tokyo Ghoul
    Tokyo Ghoul:re
    Attack on Titan
    Akame ga Kill
    Kuroko no Basket: Extra Game

stanateez likes this.
  20. Zhiqing

Zhiqing Donator

Minecraft:
    heybby