Sumo is compromised

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by chupytastic, Oct 12, 2014.

1. chupytastic

chupytastic MLG-Member

Minecraft:
    chupytastic
    So this morning everyone came onto sumo playing around and the staff watched all the matches. Well as the day progressed staff started leaving until there were none left. Hackers immediately started popping up everywhere. Now theres like 5 on at a time. I can't even play my favorite mini game without having to record and report. I barely even get to enjoy the game. This is extremely screwed up. I don't understand why the staff won't just come to spleen instead of AFKing in the lobby. I understand that they are busy with reports but that can't possibly consume their entire time on the server. The reason for the title of this thread is because sumo has in fact been compromised by hackers. There are two ways that this could be changed. #1 every player would have to constantly record and report and record and report. #2 one, just one, staff member could come onto the sumo server and watch for hackers. #2 sounds a lot easier right? I don't understand why this hasn't already been done earlier. Please, I beg of you just have a few staff members take turns in sumo. I really love the game. You guys did operation creative takeover so now do operation SUMO takeover.

Please consider this,
    -Chupy

Stergy, Chippy, Loling and 5 others like this.
  2. PresidentBacon

PresidentBacon Barry B. Benson

Staff, and most others, go to the lobby to chill and talk. If they're AFK, they wouldn't even be doing anything in any other lobbies either.

The creative takeover was setting rules and getting some staff more active there, but ultimately the only way to prevent the things happening there is for someone to report it to staff in some shape or form. Having a sumo takeover would have the same affect. Thats the point of reporting, staff can't always be there for the rule breakers.

Chippy, Loling, Rila and 2 others like this.
  3. RockoR

RockoR new bagel

Minecraft:
    RockoR
    We're not even done creative takeover :p

If you find there are hackers, pm/msg staff, or record it and post on forums :)

4. PresidentBacon

PresidentBacon Barry B. Benson

That's a very generic and contradicting response. He said he can't play the game without recording and reporting, implying he doesn't want to do that.

Chippy and Loling like this.
  5. Radii

Radii Donator

Minecraft:
    Radii
    I do agree that it is quite frustrating to have hackers compromise your favorite minigame. I also agree with your point about having staff members taking some of their "chill" time off and joining Sumo to check for hackers. I've already suggested this to Dao, however, and he says he is working on the situation himself.

On the other hand, as a former moderator, I do know that you get a lot of stress and pressure from players when you spectate pvp-based games. The problem that staff members likely have with it is that they get overwhelmed with the amount of complaints that are being thrown at them, and they're only one person, so they can only do so much as an individual.
    EDIT: Yes, I do realize that that is what they had signed up for, but I am well aware of the amount of unhappy players in particular minigames because of hackers. It is actually quite easy to manage all of the complaints, but also very stressful to perform. I hope you understand that this is from my point of view.

Once again, Dao apparently already has this issue in mind, and is in fact thinking of a solution to this problem:)

I really do apologize that your experience is not as good as you'd like it to be though :(

6. RockoR

RockoR new bagel

Minecraft:
    RockoR
    He could:

A)ask for someone else to record
    or
    B)message a staff member in game, I'm sure they'll be willing to help, unless they're busy with someone else.

We should have someone monitoring sumo, depends on who volounteers for it. However, there are times when there might be people off, so just find someone at lobby or other servers.

As to afk staff members, pretend afk means offline. When they are afk, it means that they are busy with something else. Of course, if a staff member ignores you while he/she is doing nothing productive, that's something that should be reported to higher ups.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  7. Heatdude Da Waffle

Heatdude Da Waffle Admin | Builds Things Staff Member Administrator

Minecraft:
    Heatdude
    The frustration is quite understandable. Think of it like this:

We do not have enough mods to be able to have a mod always in sumo. People complain about OITC hackers, SG hackers, and Sumo hackers all the time. We spend almost every day without 3 mods being online at once, so prioritizing sumo would make everything else go haywire as well.
    Now, the you might suggest hiring more staff and promoting more helpers. Well, if we do that, we end up with a ton of abusive staff or bad staff, so hiring our the problems won't work.
    When you're frustrated about a problem you always say "at least do something." and we are. As I write this, devin is in sumo. We TRY to have staff everywhere, but it's impossible, really. Whenever that day comes that we have a mod on every single server (not just a helper, mind you, since there are things helpers can't do) then tell me, but until that day, you'll just have to put up with hackers being around sometimes. Sorry.

Rila likes this.
  8. TheBlackHamood

TheBlackHamood Feel Pain, Accept Pain, Know Pain

Minecraft:
    twista_17 & _Hamood
    Although Staff applications are over 2k Apps, though only 10 or less got Accepted, even though they need to moderate the server harder and watch out for rule breakers, they have lives, they are not forced to Join the server every single day and stay in the same spot everything, they have to moderate over 5 minigames, and we are helping them by reporting the thing, and i think i know how to catch hackers if you couldnt record them, some kids on youtube post video of themselfs hacking or abusing, that way you can search that video and copy the link and report them :) and another soloution is as rocker said, report to a staff ingame, if you say the staff should hire someone to moderate Sumo, there should be shifts, as the helper/moderator/admin has to check the entire server, there should be shifts

thank you for reading this big post

9. TheHolyRobber

TheHolyRobber Donator

I remember that on the first day of the Sumo server, a hacker was first on the leaderboard with over 10 wins. I completely agree with you, Chupy.

10. Fluttershy's Assassin

Fluttershy's Assassin

. . .

There are no leaderboards in Sumo . . .

Anyways, this is fully understandable, but we haven't currently hit Stage 4 of CRT, and all non-chat related problems were expected to rise, IMO.

There is no way around this but reporting it, if that's what you're searching for.

EDIT: Oops, my bad. I just chexked the thread -.- There is a leaderboard

11. jenn

jenn Donator

In this case, how ever, I must express 2 different opinions.

Agree

I do agree staff members to take some time to "sit" and watch the sumo gameplays, and maybe even to play them to help with the situation that we got here. Rarely, non-staff members are online.So it would really help if one is in sumo, one( or more ) in in the others. I also say that staff members do spend a lot of time in spawn, chilling. And the rest of us, who can help to report the lobby, can help these helper/mods to take care of the spawn.

Disagree

I disagree because of one purpose. Staff members have done a lot of stuff to the server, they do deserve the time to be in the lobby and chill.

JackplaysMC likes this.
  12. Radii

Radii Donator

Minecraft:
    Radii
    Yeah, but constantly being in the lobby without spreading out isn't really ideal ;) but I understand where your head's at

jenn likes this.
  13. John3nv

John3nv

Yes, I understand your frustration with sumo. I have been there're to, but you have to understand something sbout being a staff member. They can't be online at all times. They are people too and they have lives. Yes, it is a problem that will always stay with sumo since it's a game that everyone seems to hack in, but sometimes you just have to keep reporting. For example, I have reported 53 people for hacking on mineplex, and the server has accually started to get cleaner with less hackers. You just have to push through and report the players, even though it is hard. Good luck.

14. ProCraftz

ProCraftz

You can't really win with this. This is the bad thing about minigames such as sumo.
    Staff do patrol around servers a lot, hackers will know how to combat this. They're not entirely stupid.

My point is that if a staff member goes to minigame "A" then hackers will go to minigame "B"' and vice versa.

John3nv likes this.