An open letter to ItsJerryAndHarry of 2020

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by MC_Scout, Jan 4, 2020.

1. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    1/4/20

Dear ItsJerryAndHarry community of 2020:

Another year has gone by. This means that I am writing another long, drawn out, melodramatic thread that most people will skim through and like.

The past four letters had some sort of theme based on what I noticed from the previous year. The first letter was based on being patient and maturity, as well as keeping an open mind.

The second letter was about owning your mistakes and taking responsibility. It showed the success I had in 2016 from the kick in the ass I got in 2015.

The third letter was all about transition and change. I talked about being prepared. I also talked about how 2018 would be a critical year for the server and being complacent was not an option.

Last year I talked a lot about how all three themes sort of played out in 2018. I emphasized keeping an open mind.

This years letter will follow a similar theme: real life examples being used to demonstrate something in the community. This year’s theme: Adversity.

From 2016 to 2019 I got about everything I needed. A car, an extremely well paying internship, good grades, and more. This doesn’t mean I was handed it, I had to work hard for everything I earned, and my work ethic was able to get me to what I had.

The biggest piece was that well paying job. I had an internship at a financial services institution, that payed over double what I was making, and continue to make, at McDonalds. On top of that, it was a great experience. I learned so much from it that I practically walked through my first three semesters of computer science work. The people there were awesome too. I was anticipating going back that internship in 2019, but at the end of the 2018 stint I was told it was unlikely I would be able to go back.

It wasn’t to a fault of my own. The company had restructured the intern program in a way that put me at a disadvantage. I applied, and was rejected. I applied to other places, and I thought for sure I could find an internship somewhere. Nope. Nothing. Turns out it was harder than I thought.

Now I was self-aware enough to know that the previous internship gig was pretty special. Not many high-school students get programming internships designed for college students. Still, it was disappointing, I didn’t really want to go back to McDonalds for 40 hours a week.

But I did go back to McDonalds full time for half the summer (more on that later). And this is where the point of this story comes into play: You have a choice. I could chose to go back to McDonalds and resent it, or I could appreciate the opportunities I had been previously given, and put the right foot forward. I chose the later. My efforts were rewarded, I got a raise and an offer to go through manager training.

Now about this time you’re probably rolling your eyes. Let me make it clear: being offered a manager role at McDonalds is not a major accomplishment. Doing a good job at McDonalds is not a major accomplishment. Nothing I have done at McDonalds in terms of serving customers is a major accomplishment.

What is an accomplishment is the ability to learn something from it. I was able to learn that you can either resent something, or embrace something. You can be bitter or make the most of what you have. I didn’t say settle for what you have, I said make the most of it. It turns out when you make the most of something the times goes by pretty quick, and you end up enjoying it a lot more than you thought you would.

Learning to embrace something was a big theme for my entire summer. Now, if you recall to a little bit ago, I mentioned that I only worked half a summer at McDonalds. This is because I spent the second half at Birmingham, England for a summer school aborad program. It was a three week course, that included accommodations, breakfast and lunch, and various trips. I made a thread about part of it earlier.

But here’s the thing though, EVERYONE at the program was studying abroad. There were no UK based students. It was all international students, specifically 85% of the students were from China and Taiwan. Furthermore, I was the only American at the program, and there was only one other native English speaker, who was from from Australia. Now, none of this means it was a bad thing. It does mean however, that It was very, VERY different than what I was used to.

Again, you have a choice. You can either chose resent the situation or embrace it. I chose to embrace it. I met another guy from spain, and the girl from Australia. Under normal circumstances we probably wouldn’t be friends, but during these three weeks we pretty much became inseparable. We also hung out with the other people, and ate some food (some good, some kept me on the toilet all night) that I would not have otherwise tried.

Everyone had a private dorm room with free wifi. I could have easily stayed in dorm the entire time, which I would probably do. Instead, I chose to embrace the change and met new people. What resulted was one of the best experiences I have ever had. I miss Brimingham and the people there quite a bit, and I am anxious to go back some day.

Now, the adversity I faced wasn’t all that hard. This was not a story to show how great I was, rather a story to prove a point. I have been through much tougher situations, and I am sure many of you have had the same. It’s not always easy to embrace change and overcome adversity, but I encourage you to have an open mind about it. Try something out. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

So with the idea of adversity and resentment vs embracement in mind, let’s have an awkward conversation about the server.

Now, I am not privy to the server’s financial status. I don’t know how much it makes, or how much it costs. I do know, however, how to count. It’s obvious to about everyone that there are less and less people on this server every year. Hell, even these open letters have decreased by about 10 likes every year. The community is dwindling. No one, except maybe the owners, know when the server will actually end, but everyone knows we are a lot closer to the day the server will die than the day when the server was born.

This, right here, is a great time to use the idea of resentment vs embracement. We can resent the decline or embrace what we still have.

It is pretty obvious some of you resent what the server has gone through recently, and that’s fine. A lot of you feel that there should be blame, or some change to save the server. A lot of you feel that the owners aren’t doing enough. These perfectly fair things to think.

This is also not a letter to defend the owners. The owners will probably be the first people to tell you that they were not perfect, and have made mistakes. But what I would submit is that this is an example of needing to look at the whole picture, looking at what we have accomplished.

The owners were not business majors or video game designers when the server was at its peak, they were youtubers that started a server. We, a community of mostly teenagers, ran, supported, funded, or otherwise were a part of a server that at one point had 1000 players at any given time. This community, coming from different countries, religions, backgrounds, creeds, ect were able to come together and make something special. We were able to create our own society with rules and created an experience for many people to enjoy for the majority of the previous decade. This server was competitive with servers that put a lot more money into development, and outlasted most of them.

And yes, now the server is clearly on the decline, and it kinda sucks. Yes, things could have been done differently to make the decline slower. But at some point you have to acknowledge that the server will not last forever. We have already outlived most servers our size.

Don’t get me wrong either. This is not us saying we give up. Ezzerland has been working hard on improvements for the server, and we hope that they will boost the interest. We will continue to find ways to make the server interesting for as long as people are willing to play on it.

This is my challenge: Instead of resenting what will be, embrace what was and currently is. Embrace the fact that we had something, and enjoy it while we still can. Instead of being bitter, try to enjoy what we still have.

I don’t know what will happen this year. I probably have at most one more open letter left after this one. 2020 will be the last full year of school for me. As I get ready to move on to the next stage in life, I look back on this server with fond memories. Many nights on Teamspeak and Discord. Many fun arguments on the forums. Many games of OITC lost. Saturday afternoons that went by instantly becuase I was busy banning hackers and ipchecking accounts with 30 fucking alts. That’s how I will choose to remember this server, I hope you all do the same.

Thanks again for reading, and happy new year.

Sincerely,

MC_Scout

Trevor, ZappyFB, Averill and 31 others like this.
  2. Witha

Witha Mandy 11.28.21 <3 Donator

Minecraft:
    Witha
    I'm Proud of you Scout!

jaga and Soap like this.
  3. Soap

Soap Donator

Minecraft:
    soapC
    Adversity is the reason we may all be successful and rich one day.

I’m happy to see that you’re so self-aware; this will lead you to the right path.

To the next decade, Scout!

4. TheMint

TheMint Former Mod+ Donator

Minecraft:
    TheMint
    Hey Scout! I can relate to what you're saying. My 2019 was physically, mentally and emotionally challenging, but it built me a lot as a person and rewarded me with great confidence, pride, friends and roles. Choosing the challenging way and getting out of our comfort zone is very important.

Happy new year :)

safoya299, ItsJerry, jaga and 3 others like this.
  5. Smg

Smg Retired | Also known as 'Phaithful' Donator

Minecraft:
    Phaithful_
    It's always nice to read your letters at the end of the year Scout. Your thoughts on embracing vs resentment, I find it very interesting

I'm in a situation where I'm a senior in high-school and am about to finish my 1st semester. I've already been accepted into a college so at-least the beginning part of my life after high-school has been set. I'm very much so afraid and scared of taking the next step, resenting having to though. High-school is a pain but I know that things only get real and harder after it. I'm afraid, in that sense, to let go of everything I have come to know and love throughout my years as an elementary, middle, and high-school student in this same school district.

At the end of the day, I think I'm going to have to embrace this next part of my life

Once again, thank you Scout

MC_Scout and jaga like this.
  6. Muffin_Mobber

Muffin_Mobber Reality Surfer Donator

Minecraft:
    muffin_mobber
    AND the Titans beat the Patriots.
    I embrace it.

j0sef, Trevor, MC_Scout and 1 other person like this.
  7. jaga

jaga saadihsan

It’s crazy to think how this community has changed over the years and a lot of times, I cry in my bed late at night thinking about this server (this is not a joke). I literally have dreams at night of Minecraft, especially playing factions and KitPvP on this server to this day and I find myself often in school just daydreaming about it.

ItsJerryAndHarry is the only server and community I’ve been a part of, and I have barely ever played any other servers. It’s really depressing thinking about how it is inevitably deteriorating, but sadly, all good things must come into an end. Playing this server through the years has helped me get through depressed times, and has been one of the biggest sources of solace for me. It’s crazy to think that just yesterday we were all 12, 13, 14, 15 year olds just playing with no worry in the world and then BAM! Reality hits us. I still think about the many friends I have made over the years and how we have all changed from being hackers to becoming legit (@Lone) or from being gay to remaining gay (@Amore). As cliche as it sounds, I wish I could turn back the clock.

Even though we might have had our differences @MC_Scout and have had some naughty verbal exchanges in the past, I still think of you as my friend and could not image a community without you. You were on my friends list for months on saadihsan if you still remember. I do not want to make this about me but despite what you and the rest of the community might think, I am honestly not a really bad guy. I might seem like a really annoying, childish, petty, and inconsiderate guy, but at the end of the day, I hope you can believe that 99% of what I do and say is just a persona. In real life, I’m nothing like how I act here. And to everyone that I have ever hurt or annoyed, sorry.

I have been drifting in and out of sleep for the past 5 minutes and I think it’s time I end my post here. I love you lone.

And thank you @ItsHarry and @ItsJerry for your Minecraft coding series on YouTube (which last I checked was discontinued). It inspired me to learn coding and holy shit it has changed my life $$$$$$$$$$
    omfg same

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    GANk, ZakMuir, vaping and 4 others like this.
  8. vaping

vaping Donator

Minecraft:
    vaaping
    cutie <3

jaga likes this.
  9. ZakMuir

ZakMuir Veteran Donator

Minecraft:
    ZakMuir
    Where do I start?

I started playing this server in 2013, stopped in 2014 for 6 months and came back in February 2015, and let me tell you, it does not feel like 5 years since I came back to the server. My activity has dwindled on the server over the last year, due to my favorite mini game, peaceful survival, being removed, and hence me no longer having a game mode to play until recent, when I have discovered the wonders of "Skyblock" and life has caught up to me. I am 17 years old now and busy with exams, work, a newfound social life. But this server was part of my childhood and teenage hood, so I must show some respect to that.

What did I love about this server? The mini games just felt "different" to me in a way I can't explain, but it wasn't like the mass produced stuff that other big servers pushed out with complicated systems. I liked this server because it was simple, but not too simple. The peaceful survival was simple enough to almost be vanilla survival, barring the shop and fly privileges, and I loved those features.

I've got many fond memories over the years playing this server, late nights into survival, building my town and houses, recruiting members to my village, grinding for small amounts of money.

I met my online best friends on this server years ago and life has not been the same since.
    This is so true, a millions time this, this server has outlasted most other big servers, and we as a community JOINED TOGETHER to make this community.

This server helped me through the rough nights and parts of my life when life seemed to be going down the drain and it was a dull existence that I no longer wanted to be a part of.

I've definitely changed over the years on this server. I was helper twice! This server allowed to me to come out my shell, learn about people from other countries, experience other culture, make new friends.
    I know I can be immature & harassing sometimes, but I really am a good guy too and I usually play on the server with a few warning points on my name for inappropriate jokes or telling somebody to go away in not so nice terms.

And yes, the end of the server is likely shorter than the current age of the server, which is sad, but the community is getting older and younger people don't seem to be coming as much en masse as they were to play on the server, maybe that's due to them being interested in other games now like Fortnite. But this server will always have a place in my heart. All good things come to an end, or they turn bad. I'd rather have nice memories.

Thank you to everyone I have ever met on this server (I am going to tag everyone who ever meant anything to me or showed me kindness, or taught me something, even if we fell out, or angrily don't speak anymore because I messed up in my days of idiocy, or if you don't consider me as a friend, which I understand)

And thank you to all these people, who I can't tag you all so I am tagging no one, for making my childhood possible, even in the smallest ways, ancient or recent, or for teaching me something.

Thyra, Epsical Dest, Karwa, Shinra, Glow, Kick, saad, Skillz, Evence, NES, Willy, Karly, Joshylad1, mel, jerome ,liz, lone, witha, TheMint, Lila, Safoya, Mappy, Xeon, Xenon, Joeyy, ZeusV, Ezzerland, t3mptr3s, BrakeCrake, may, ninja, tomyz, skillz, evence, blaze, catman, tei, mel, Karwa, Sorry if I forgot anyone, its very late and I am tired and I really have the late night vibes. But I think of you all often for everything and thank you for that again, even if we do speak anymore <3

it wont let me tag everyone so im just writing usernames for everyone, eqaulity and that

04/06/2020(4th june) editing in the new homies ive made like mookey <3 sara, icy, emma & my bro sid

But most importantly, thank you to @ItsJerry & @ItsHarry for having such a wonderful server, and making part of my childhood possible.

sry i dont rly get emotional i know
    if anyone wants to get in touch my discord is #zak1337

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Shinraaa, safoya299, Eco and 4 others like this.
  10. jaga

jaga saadihsan

No u
    --- Post merged ---
    No u

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  11. Saul1337

Saul1337

12. _Tigeripac_

_Tigeripac_ Tigeripac

Minecraft:
    Tigeripac
    Negativity 100
    --- Post merged ---
    +rep,
    PS: I accept your appology for having my creeper farm insided once! :P

jaga likes this.
  13. jaga

jaga saadihsan

I accept your acceptance of my apology <3

_Tigeripac_ likes this.
  14. Svijetlana

Svijetlana Donator

Minecraft:
    Svijetlana
    so are you resigning?

Soap likes this.
  15. Soap

Soap Donator

Minecraft:
    soapC
    Yes, he’s resigning.

16. Svijetlana

Svijetlana Donator

Minecraft:
    Svijetlana
    oo that's very nice, but I asked him not you ?

jaga likes this.
  17. jaga

jaga saadihsan

upload_2020-1-7_22-25-35.png
    ================================================
    upload_2020-1-7_22-26-0.png
    Liar

_Tigeripac_, Soap and ItsJerry like this.
  18. MC_Scout

MC_Scout Fearless Leader Staff Member Manager

Minecraft:
    MC_Scout
    Somehow I stopped getting alerts to this.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sorry to disappoint, but no.
    The trend was over letters prior to that. This year was a (pleasant) anomaly.

Maplestory2isGay, Fitzy and Witha like this.
  19. Magical

Magical . Donator

I relate.

MC_Scout and ItsJerry like this.
  20. IceCuddly

IceCuddly

Minecraft:
    IceCuddly
    same :) <3

Magical likes this.