About Flame Wars

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by homieboy, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homieboy

homieboy Joined J&H since Aug 2012 | Server Veteran

Minecraft:
    homieboy
    Hello,

I wanted to talk to you about a important issue that seems to keep starting every few days or so. If you don't know what it is, it's flame wars.

More and more of these silly wars have come up even after Harry removed shoutbox. Most of us loved the shoutbox since we can communicate with each other without starting a conversation. Now that it was removed just to get rid of the flame wars, it seems that there was no point in removing it. It just spreads everywhere around the forums. It made many good and honorable players leave which I will not mention.

Recently, there was a thread between two mature players (Will not mention names) that erupted a flame war. This is not tolerated. We are suppose to be good examples for those newcomers onto the forums. We can't have stupid flame wars all over the forums. That'll just make things worse. Regarding this thread, the mods received around 10 reports over the same thread. ( Not Report Abuse. The forums report button ) . In order to give us a break, if you see a flame war thread, ignore it and move on with whatever you were doing. I recommend to not post anything on the thread in case you want trouble. Before you click the report button, look when the thread was made. If it was created 1 hour or more prior to you reading the thread, don't click the report button since someone probably reported it already. If it was within 30 minutes of creation, then you can report it. This will give the Staff a break since there's a process to resolve these reports.

Hope I see some improvements on our forums. We're a family here. Not a bunch of immature idiots.

Post your thoughts here

2. Diffracting

Diffracting Former M.o.d+ Donator

Yes. I totally agree with you. I can't stand flame wars, but I can't do anything about it. I don't ever join to flame wars because It's just stupid.

3. Deletethispls

Deletethispls Delete me pls Donator

Minecraft:
    EdwardGFleming
    I agree it makes the server look as if there are immature people and would think other horrible stuff about our community. I can't believe people light the flame wars over something that would never have anything to do with the thread.

Thanks for clearing it up homieboy :D

4. Fluttershy's Assassin

Fluttershy's Assassin

I kind of wish Pieman's Organization against Flamewars stuck out. I guess I'll make a new Anti-Flame war Logo. c:

5. Cannoli

Cannoli

So, this is clear now.
    If flame wars weren't created with your shoutbox (I presume that's another name for a chat box) then recreate it and just increase tighter thread watches.
    And also, I've had experience with other forums that have had flame wars. In each case, they were all started by one person. Each flame war is their fault really (mostly). So why don't you just ban them instead? That seems like a solution to the issue. Then flame wars can't be created.

6. PyromancerMagic

PyromancerMagic Donator

The shoutbox was removed for a reason. Flame wars erupted there all the time, more often then they did with said threads. Adding the shoutbox would be pointless. Harry removed it, and he's the only one who can add it back. He removed it permanently, and is standing by his word.

Homie, as much as you like, flame wars cannot be stopped. You can try, sure, but people will just find new ways to harass others. And many people will continue to do it still. They would do anything to flame someone. Even make a public hate thread.

One person gets pissed off, attacks another, then that person really has no choice but to defend themselves. If a thread was made to do something, while at the same time doing what the thread is trying to prevent, and its all aimed at one person, you have to defend yourself. Even you would agree with this, Homie. A simple report, as you basically just said, won't do anything. "Ignoring" a post or a person won't help. All of us on these forums are on the server. So, they get to us there. Some of us are even on TS. They even get to us there. The only way to 100% avoid it is to leave. Most of us don't want to do that.

Now about this thread, the only point I really see in it is to reduce the amount of work the mods have to do. Sure, you say "Hope I see some improvements on our forums" but the main point of this thread was to tell us "Don't report flame wars, as we deserve a break. So just ignore them and make our lives easier." This doesn't help solve the problem, which should be the main reason for this thread being made.

Fluttershy's Assassin likes this.
  7. Flare Pikachu

Flare Pikachu

To actually solve the flame war issue, I would ask on why did the flame war start in the first place.

Yes, that is a very important question. If we know on what is causing it, then the problem wouldn't cause players being upset about certain things, and start arguing over a revolving point. And that, obviously concludes in nothing, but harm for both sides. If, we could fix things up between two players when the 'war' starts, then none of it would happen.

Note that it is actually a moderator's job to stop flame wars, so I agree with Pyro's point where it states:

I agree that the title was definitely misleading when I first read it, as I thought it was a public declaration of extra punishment for flame war contributers. Ended up with the 'Please don't do that' type of threads, which is really nothing wrong imo, but it definitely lowered my hopes with flame wars stopping.

&.

I bet, that theres 80% of the community out there, who wouldn't have bothered reading this thread, and think that the report button is something fun and could be used for any odd post.

PyromancerMagic likes this.
  8. Audrey_Is_Here

Audrey_Is_Here o7 ❤︎

Minecraft:
    Audrey_Is_Here
    My thoughts, simple thoughts. Homie is correct, and we really shouldn't be acting like this. C'mon guys, were PRETTY MUCH one big family here, It's just sad and annoying to see all the fights go on. Lets just be happy, eh? :)

9. ItsSara

ItsSara

I was in a flame war with 2 of my threads I made

10. bunniesunday

bunniesunday

Yes, Homie, I agree with you.
    I CAN'T stand flame wars at all, but I can't do anything. Yes, we are one big family, seeing Flame Wars erupting among my friends saddens me. So let's stop all the fighting and have Peace and Harmony! ;)

11. MrDavyJones

MrDavyJones ~Stroke his Beard~

Minecraft:
    GroundBoy
    I dont think you guys should bring back up old threads

homieboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.